Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser diode for fabrics cutting

Default laser diode for fabrics cutting

Hi all. I am starting to think about a new project of an laser cutter for my wifes fabrics. I would like to use raspberry, some step motor, matné ramps elecronics. I have alredy made DIY 3D od printer based on prusas design, alebo with electroboard etching, and my own printing head. At this tíme I have lets say no info about laser devices, what would you think could be there best to use? Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by stano4000 View Post
    Hi all. I am starting to think about a new project of an laser cutter for my wifes fabrics. I would like to use raspberry, some step motor, matné ramps elecronics. I have alredy made DIY 3D od printer based on prusas design, alebo with electroboard etching, and my own printing head. At this tíme I have lets say no info about laser devices, what would you think could be there best to use? Thanks for your time.
    A bit more info required...

-Type of fabric
    -Color of fabric
    -Thickness of fabric
    -Is fabric flameable

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Jerry,

Knit fabrics and softshell. Both are flamable. Mostly dark (black, blue, green) fabrics with thickness up to 0.5 mm.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by stano4000 View Post
    Jerry,

Knit fabrics and softshell. Both are flamable. Mostly dark (black, blue, green) fabrics with thickness up to 0.5 mm.
    you're really going to want to use a co2 laser for this. it will be much faster and do a better job.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Jerry thank you. I was awaiting such answer. Are there any tips you could give me? Some actual products, etc. Thank you very much for your time.

... here are two videos showing lasercutting red craft felt an grey "floor cloth" with a "blue" 445nm-laserdiode with 2Watts of power:

https://vimeo.com/180893044

https://vimeo.com/180893084

If the fibers aren't transparent, then lasercutting is doable with this laserdiodes too -- and with a finer cut than with a CO2 laser

Viktor

here's me cutting fabric on my co2 system... this is 75mm/s. i've stepped up to cutting at 200mm/s these days.

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... here are two videos showing lasercutting red craft felt an grey "floor cloth" with a "blue" 445nm-laserdiode with 2Watts of power:

https://vimeo.com/180893044

https://vimeo.com/180893084

If the fibers aren't transparent, then lasercutting is doable with this laserdiodes too -- and with a finer cut than with a CO2 laser

Viktor
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hi Swami,

... what's the resolution of your machine?

My videos were made with a "refurbished" CNC-mill, which runs with servos+encoders with maximum speed of 150mm/s max and 0.0025mm encoder-"step" resolution.

For engraving and cutting thinner sheets I'm running with 40mm/s to avoid "wobbling" in fine details ... but this is only visible with a lens and will have some 30 microns amplitude, so only interesting for super-fine work.

With my machines with belts the max. speed is in the range of 400mm/s - tested one with 800mm/s, but then the aluminium frame is twisting/wobbling, so only feasible for linear hatching with an encoder to synchronise the start points ... had to do this for cylinder-engraving of printing masks with "pixel-densities" of up to 4000 DPI with speeds of up to 80mm/s ... but could be much faster with coarser resolution

One factor for maximum speed is the laser power - got similar max. speeds with 20 Watts @CO2 and 3Watts @445nm-Laserdiode -- but much finer cuts with the diode

Viktor

i'm really not sure what the resolution is. here's an example of the engraving i do with it (on slate).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hopi-boy-etched.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	922.5 KB 
ID:	51562

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    Hi Swami,

... what's the resolution of your machine?

My videos were made with a "refurbished" CNC-mill, which runs with servos+encoders with maximum speed of 150mm/s max and 0.0025mm encoder-"step" resolution.

For engraving and cutting thinner sheets I'm running with 40mm/s to avoid "wobbling" in fine details ... but this is only visible with a lens and will have some 30 microns amplitude, so only interesting for super-fine work.

With my machines with belts the max. speed is in the range of 400mm/s - tested one with 800mm/s, but then the aluminium frame is twisting/wobbling, so only feasible for linear hatching with an encoder to synchronise the start points ... had to do this for cylinder-engraving of printing masks with "pixel-densities" of up to 4000 DPI with speeds of up to 80mm/s ... but could be much faster with coarser resolution

One factor for maximum speed is the laser power - got similar max. speeds with 20 Watts @CO2 and 3Watts @445nm-Laserdiode -- but much finer cuts with the diode

Viktor

Hi Swami,

what's the finest spot diameter or line width you can engrave?

If bigger than 0,05mm, then it would be problematic to measure grid distances or finest step differences.

With the laserdiodes I'm receiving spot diameters down to 0,04mm, with the fiberlasers down to 0,02mm - or 0,005mm (5 microns) with a beam expander ... then measuring the widths/differences or steps with a microscope is no problem ...

Viktor