Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Laser - Opinion

Default My Laser - Opinion

Ok guys,

Be interested in your opinion as to the brightness / visibility of my laser.

Doesn't seem as bright to me as it should do for 400-600mw.

Here its all set up (stand is Heath Robinson but only temporary). Room is smoked using Martin Magnum 650 and Jem DJ Fluid.

Only thing I did do that might affect appearance is I forgot to turn the garage lights out - never noticed until I looked at the video. 2 big fluorscents on as a result, but I don't know how much these dimmed the beam appearance.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MGL7utUxj0k&fmt=18

When I compare it to some other videos on there, it looks very weak although you can't tell if they've cheated with saturation. eg:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qXpI7ezv3lA&fmt=18

That ones supposedly a Laserworld EL 200RGY, a Chinese made cheap laser.

Also, on safety, you can see one or two beams reflecting down from time to time off the roof. Do you think these are probably ok - I would have thought they'd have been pretty diffuse.

Thumbs up

Looks GREAT!!

Yeah, garage lights "off" will probably make a BIG difference.
    Plus, the beam angle was at a pretty large angle to the camera - a little more parallel to the camera line of sight may make quite a bit of difference in the apparent brightness.

Of course, you're doing the right thing for audience viewing, and keeping the beams well above any possible shots to the eyes!!

If what I saw on your video is any indication, your audience will love it!!

Last edited by Stuka; 10-09-2008 at 09:01.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

it seems a little dim compared to other systems of equal power but its really hard to tell without being there. also the angle like stuka could have something to do with the way it looks not as powerful
    -Josh

Well, just put a power meter on it... too simple of an answer I know (call me a smart ass)

IMHO looks very weak.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Maybe its the camera being saturated by the lights behind, making it readjust = dimmer beams?

Also the fact that its going OVER the camera will have a big effect. I do agree is looks a little dim for 600mw, but really 600mw isnt all that much :/

Also the reflections from the roof, they would be fine, notice how it was scattered like a flashlight beam?

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Ok guys,

Be interested in your opinion as to the brightness / visibility of my laser.

Doesn't seem as bright to me as it should do for 400-600mw.

Here its all set up (stand is Heath Robinson but only temporary). Room is smoked using Martin Magnum 650 and Jem DJ Fluid.

Only thing I did do that might affect appearance is I forgot to turn the garage lights out - never noticed until I looked at the video. 2 big fluorscents on as a result, but I don't know how much these dimmed the beam appearance.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MGL7utUxj0k&fmt=18

When I compare it to some other videos on there, it looks very weak although you can't tell if they've cheated with saturation. eg:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qXpI7ezv3lA&fmt=18

That ones supposedly a Laserworld EL 200RGY, a Chinese made cheap laser.

Also, on safety, you can see one or two beams reflecting down from time to time off the roof. Do you think these are probably ok - I would have thought they'd have been pretty diffuse.
    The yellow appears well balanced, so I don't think there is anything wrong. The second video is taken at an angle hitting the camera, plus the projector is a very cheap stepper motor scanner. The beams are actually flashing, rather then scanning.
    Consider also that Laserworld rated specs are usually "extremely generous" on labels and quite poor in real test.

Quote Originally Posted by Laseronics View Post
    Well, just put a power meter on it... too simple of an answer I know (call me a smart ass)
    Sensible suggestion, unfortunately I don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Maybe its the camera being saturated by the lights behind, making it readjust = dimmer beams?

Also the fact that its going OVER the camera will have a big effect. I do agree is looks a little dim for 600mw, but really 600mw isnt all that much :/
    I wondered how much the lights had to play in it all but in all honesty it didn't look brighter in person, in fact the red maybe dimmer. Again though lights may have something to do in this as the camera was mounted fairly low and when I viewed it in person, being 6ft, I had an angle that gave me much more of the garage lighting behind.

Red seemed to get dimmer longer it was on though.

This is a video I took later from a 2nd camera - a compact stills, maybe its less sensitive to red although my eyes seemed to notice the dimness as well.

Looks to be plenty of fog:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJGGhxD7NY&fmt=18
    Last edited by White-Light; 05-31-2013 at 23:11.

Lights off, smoke machine and music going strong -
    your lasers will look fine!

Remember, you're doing a show at home, not in some big nightclub or auditorium with multiple smoke machines and projectors! Fire up what you have, and enjoy.....your audience will!!

RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I took your advice and reshot another video this time more head on (stood just outside the scanners side reach).

See what you think about brightness:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GAfbRzEE1cs&fmt=18