Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: laser color by nm overview

Default laser color by nm overview

Hi, what are the typical wavelengths used for an RGB laser projector?

i found attached table with an overview of the visible laser spectrum by color and wavelength in nm.

which ones would be good/better/best for RGB

MichelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	laser color nm table.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	21508
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser color nm table2.JPG  

Last edited by michelrietveld; 11-19-2010 at 11:47. Reason: better image uploaded

You mean, for white?

there is this nice little programm called chroma, which i can't seem to find at the moment

it lets you simulate both nm and mW, so you can get an idea

yes, which lasers would combine nicely

i understood that the power factor for creating white depends on the wavelength used, lets assume 2 scenarios, 1 no budget limits and scenario 2 budget sensitive.

Scenario 1 : no budget limits
    power balance to get nice white with bright red like 635 nm
    2 (red) : 1 (blue) : 1 (green)

for example :
    500mw red 635 nm : 250mw 442 nm blue : 250mw 532nm green if this is possible with the laser modules we can get, not too familiar yet with which modules and what wavelengths are out there and affordable and usable.

Scenario 2 : budget friendly

4 (red) : 1 (blue) : 1 (green)

power balance to get nice white with bright red like 635nm
    2 (red) : 1 (blue) : 1 (green)

for example :
    1000mw red 628nm : 250mw 442nm blue : 250mw 532nm green

from the dichros that i orderd i know i would need the following wavelengths for blue: 473nm blue & 445nm blue

my green is a 532 nm 250mw

i just got a violet/blue laser, unsure about the wavelength but my guess is something like 448 nm if that is possible

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    there is this nice little programm called chroma, which i can't seem to find at the moment

it lets you simulate both nm and mW, so you can get an idea

yes, i downloaded this some time ago but couldn't get it to work, it needed another program also and i heared you had to change something but i don't know what so if anyone can guide me through the setup i am sure interested to see what i can learn from it.

Michel

i found it, it was mathlab with cChroma

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

If you have problems with Chroma contact the PL member Tocket, the author. I recall you have to install something else with Chroma, but that was on the same page where you could find the download link.

I heard that the ideal ratio for R:G:B is 4:1:2, but that is probably with a darker red (like 660 nm or something) and a bright blue (like 473).
    Your chart isn't complete, Michel. For example, I can't find 445 and 405 nm (semiconductor - diode types). I think those are some pretty recent colours.
    If your laser is blue/violet-ish, it might be 405 nm. However, 445 nm appears pretty violet too in comparision to other blues.
    The best guess would be the type of diode. How much mW can it produce? If it is 'just' 100 à 200 mW it is probably 405 nm, a violet, which is also very hard to focus on. If it is between 500 à 1000 mW it is probably 445 nm, dark blue and pretty cheap since a few months. If you have your diode longer than (how long has it been?) say six months it is probably 405 nm.

I guess you go to NLLEM, I'm sure those guys can answer all of your questions accurately!

Thanks, i will drop him a pm, reinstalling chroma as we speak, also updated the table with the two wavelengths you mentioned, yes i will go to the nllem for sure.

Michel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laser color nm table.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	21510

Default chroma

chroma is a load of bollocks ,it wrong, trouble is with it is in a pc not the real world
    and if you build a projector to what chroma says you will be dissapointed
    been there done that
    just ask on the forum, and see what others think

WhiteLight is the resident expert on Chroma, perhaps he could step in and offer some advice
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001