Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Noob Advice

Speaking as a noob myself, I would suggest starting with the MobileBeat RGB. Yes, it is TTL. Yes, it has 15k scanners. But, with this entry level laser and a copy of QuickShow you can get your feet wet. X-Laser makes it EXTREMELY easy to get the proper paperwork filed in the US. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago (I will post a review soon) and have been EXTREMELY pleased with the entire X-Laser team.

When you first got your drivers license, was your first car a Benz or a beater? Yeah, you wished it was a Benz (or Camero depending on how old you are) but it provided transportation as a temporary solution as you were learning/appreciating the rules of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Actually I do remember a case swap being a part of the bargain struck now you mention it.

Your other choice might be to get a quote for a smaller Skywriter, the same laser power as the Mobile Beat instead of the Sky Writer series.

BTW I just noticed something with X laser - their RGB systems are quoting 7 colours suggesting they are TTL.

I would suggest you really want analogue modulated lasers otherwise you'll be upgrading far too soon.

I'm guessing the only answer might be an extended budget.
    Yeah that custom Mobile beat RGB was going to be built for me last Dec. The Mobile beat MK IV arrived with a misaligned green laser. I sent it back to X laser. i emailed them about what I wanted to do in animations with QS before I bought it and they assured me that It would be just right. Some members here stated that 15kpps scanners were not fast enough. X laser said that they were. when I sent it back I told them that I was going to wait to save up for a laser with faster scanners. Thats when they offered to build me the custom projector. A Mobile beat MKIV in a X laser beam case with 30 kpps scanners. Now I read hear that they emailed MistrMackey that the Mobile beat MK IV was designed for "Simple Graphics" and all the time they were telling me that it would be fine for the animations that I wanted to do. I told them that I was new at this but I was going to work with the QS software to do more complex shows. I am glad that I sent it back to them.

Pat,

You make it sound like you were misled and since I was the one who helped you both by e-mail and phone I take a little offense to that. The issue here is what any given person considers adequate... I have met hundreds of DJ's who are pleased as can be with their 15K systems from us who are using them in much more demanding applications that yours. As we discussed, 30K is more preferable for graphics shows however based upon our discussions it seemed like your need was not particularly involved since you were just running laser shows for your grandkids. That is about as simple an application as exists and also as we discussed, we underrate the MB scanners assuming that someone is going to dive them at a far larger angle than eight degrees allowing you to run them faster if you decrease the beam angle. We also discussed accuracy vs. speed and I noted that running them a little faster still would be fine if you were not going to have someone breathing down your neck about the corners not being totally sharp.

In my opinion the Mobile Beat would have been a sufficient laser system for what you wanted to do and we spent a great deal of time talking about how to optimize it for your application given that a faster system was not in your budget anyway. Apparently you disagree which is fine, and I note that we took back the laser system after you had used it because we wanted you to be completely satisfied. I spent a great deal of time talking with you about the technology and discussing your needs so I would appreciate it if you would reflect the process a little more accurately.

Do you consider turning on the projector and finding that the green laser was misaligned and not displaying a watchable image as using it? I also emailed you saying that although I was new at this and wanted to do Christmas shows that as I got some experience with QS that I would be making more complex shows. Even in this thread some of the members say that 15kpps is not fast enough. If you want me to be more accurate in the process I could mention the fiasco with the cable and Fed X.

Pat - You are free to mention whatever you like including refusing delivery on an ILDA cable because you were not sure what to do and thereby making us pay for shipping both ways including the refused item fee which we never billed you for in the interest of resolving this amicably. However, I think you understood my point and there is no use in doing a point-counterpoint all day. I simply objected to you implying that I had misled you when I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to make sure that everything was clear to your satisfaction.

OK, since you don't mind. I did pay for the shipping of the cable. On my refund they deducted the cost of shipping the cable both ways. I guess your guy was upset that I did not follow his orders to drive down to the Fed X service center to go pick it up and return it myself. and had that shipping charge deducted. . Also I paid for the return shipping of the defective projector myself.

Like I said before, I think the Mobile Beat RGB is the perfect entry-level laser. I just created a video from my experiences using it over the past 2 weeks. I'll be glad to answer any questions about it and plan to post a full review on the site once I can type it up properly.

http://youtu.be/29xiSiNgtjk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ3pm View Post
    Like I said before, I think the Mobile Beat RGB is the perfect entry-level laser. I just created a video from my experiences using it over the past 2 weeks. I'll be glad to answer any questions about it and plan to post a full review on the site once I can type it up properly.

http://youtu.be/29xiSiNgtjk
    Just a tip if doing graphics you're best off with no fog. Only use fog if you're doing beams or a combination of the graphics and beams.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Just a tip if doing graphics you're best off with no fog. Only use fog if you're doing beams or a combination of the graphics and beams.
    I know the atmosphere will make the final terminated output less intense, but would have made the beams more visible. The split-screen I had at the start of the video was because I had too much fog the first time I recorded so I opened up a door and let some dissipate out. None of the demos I've seen on-line really showed the same projector at different distances in different environments. I'm learning as I go, but soaking it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    Do you consider turning on the projector and finding that the green laser was misaligned and not displaying a watchable image as using it? I also emailed you saying that although I was new at this and wanted to do Christmas shows that as I got some experience with QS that I would be making more complex shows. Even in this thread some of the members say that 15kpps is not fast enough. If you want me to be more accurate in the process I could mention the fiasco with the cable and Fed X.
    I too had a bum laser out the box (red diode stuck on), but X-Laser was quick to help. I sent the projector in on a Thursday and got it back the next Thursday (I paid FedEx shipping to, X-Laser paid for shipping back). Granted, the unit didn't have to go all the way across the country and back but I was quote happy with the lack of downtime I ended up with. I was also glad at this point that I hadn't built this laser myself: who knows how I would have fixed a diode.

I had several conversations with Dan before committing to my purchase. I don't feel he ever tried to upsell me in a direction that wasn't appropriate. In fact, I went against his recommendations (Skywriter) and bought the Mobile Beat anyway (it just made sense with my budget, expertise, and immediate plans for use). I am happy with my purchase, but realize that this is just a baby-step into this addictive world of photons.