Thread: Marconi 2965 Communication Analyzer

Default Marconi 2965 Communication Analyzer

check out this baby i just got a Marconi 2965 Communication Analyzer. i think i can hook an x and y from my dac up to this an it will produce a picture, i need to do some playing.

i believe £10,000 work of toy LOL

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

You can do that with a 2 channel CRO. Can even do blanking if you have a Z-input
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Quote Originally Posted by aijii View Post
    You can do that with a 2 channel CRO. Can even do blanking if you have a Z-input
    Yep, and a Hewlett Packard/Agilent 1740A 100 MHz 2-channel scope does this well. Very nice scope for the cost too. Some say the Tektronics 465B is as good, but having seen both, I think the Agilent wins easily, more durable, no fan cooling, so no dust and goop to drift over the innards and age them fast. Nice sealed case that makes the Tektronix look almost tacky in comparison, and better switches and knobs.

eBay knoweth where... there's lots around, cheap, even the UK has good deals on them, and the US is well in. That Marconi thinger looks nice though. Very. How much was it? It might have two weaknesses, possibly, one is repair, I read that a lot of the gadets with those sorts of specs, digital controls, used very custom LSI chips, and if they go, it becomes a brick with little chance of any further use or repair. The other is that you can't so easly tweak a control in a hurry.

I chose the Agilent 1740A because apparently it's easy to keep going, and reliable. (Can't find anything wrong with mine bar an occasional intermittent display error). I tried both (Tek was actually earlier 465 though, not B version, but there's not a lot different), and the Agilent had a much finer line, and a VERY cool scale backlight, based on CRT flood instead of little filament lamps.

Edit: Picture. Not good, but if I had better, I lost it. I just wanted to get the scan recorded, the scope looks much nicer than this shows.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 02-28-2007 at 19:55.

it cost me nothing, my dad has two of these and 10x 2955
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat