Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Ideal base plate thickness...?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    26

    Default

    re: baseplate thickness

    I used 1/4 inch due to the price/weight but it does have plenty of flex in it. Definitely a problem for precise alignment of multiple lasers. Bolt/weld a small frame of 1/2" - 1" aluminum or steel square tube around the bottom and it should be very solid. Also if you have it securely bolted to your case, it should help with the flex problem.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I'm thinking of using this for my base. Anyone else think that this is just a tad bit overkill? Also, with it being that thick, how will this affect the cooling of my scanner amps?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Cast-A...3A1%7C294%3A50

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redgoat View Post
    I'm thinking of using this for my base.
    You realise that the 12" x 12" base plate will weight almost 10Kg on it's own, right?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,631

    Cool Get something thinner!

    Quote Originally Posted by redgoat View Post
    I'm thinking of using this for my base. Anyone else think that this is just a tad bit overkill?
    Forget that auction. You're wasting your money, and risking a bad back in the process. That plate will be *way* too heavy. For a 12 inch square piece, you would be fine with 1/4 inch plate. If you are really paranoid, then go up to 3/8ths of an inch. But 1.5 inches? You've got to be shitting me! Way too thick. That's not overkill, that's overkill cubed!
    Also, with it being that thick, how will this affect the cooling of my scanner amps?
    It won't have much of an effect at all. So long as they're bolted to a metal plate and you have some air circulation, they'll be fine no matter how thick or thin your baseplate is. They don't get all that hot.

    But seriously - look for something thinner. That plate will give you nothing but headaches. (And a backache!)

    Adam

  5. #25
    gashead's Avatar
    gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burntisland, Scotland
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    I've just realised - I should try and get it laser cut!
    The irony...
    Muhahah!
    Mate if you know anyone with a co2 laser big ass enough to cut Ali plate do let me know and I'll throw some business their way also!!

    I got my base plate from a retailer on ebay here in the UK (Clickmetal I believe) 500x500x10mm was not cheap (£60ish I think) but it seems to be the dogs balls.

    I've just been cutting it with a jigsaw and appropriate blades and yep obviously you have to go slow and it's best to cut it outside of your house (garage is good) and yep! the neighbors think you are a mad scientist popping in and out of the garage all the time making loud cutting noises.. but hey ! worth it.

    I also got a drill press for £40 from .. dare I say it... Aldi's not the most amazing bit of kit and a bit small for large base plates but does the job.

    Only issue I have had so far is nuking my tap's on the ali - I assume it's because I end up buying cheap ones as opposed to the more expensive ones - but learnt my lesson on that and have a nice Draper one arriving shortly.. hopefully make the difference!!


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    Mate if you know anyone with a co2 laser big ass enough to cut Ali plate do let me know and I'll throw some business their way also!!

    I got my base plate from a retailer on ebay here in the UK (Clickmetal I believe) 500x500x10mm was not cheap (£60ish I think) but it seems to be the dogs balls.

    I've just been cutting it with a jigsaw and appropriate blades and yep obviously you have to go slow and it's best to cut it outside of your house (garage is good) and yep! the neighbors think you are a mad scientist popping in and out of the garage all the time making loud cutting noises.. but hey ! worth it.

    I also got a drill press for £40 from .. dare I say it... Aldi's not the most amazing bit of kit and a bit small for large base plates but does the job.

    Only issue I have had so far is nuking my tap's on the ali - I assume it's because I end up buying cheap ones as opposed to the more expensive ones - but learnt my lesson on that and have a nice Draper one arriving shortly.. hopefully make the difference!!

    Well... my uni has a few cutters. However due to bad timing on my part, I couldn't use it (right near the end of term )

    I know EXACTLY what you mean about neighbors and noise. I leave the CNC running in the garage on its own for hours at a time, and the slightly hypnotic noise of the servos moving around sends them potty next door.

    Any TiN bits/taps are ace for ally. They are like a hot knife through butter. Slightly more expensive, but will improve the job 10 fold. Any carbon steel bits should be binned...

    Dan

  7. #27
    mixedgas's Avatar
    mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Using a fluid such as "Tapmagic" is mandatory on AL. Makes taps go at least 2x longer.

    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    Spot on Steve.
    If you can't get hold of tapmagic, a really good alternative for us UK folks is from Chronos.
    http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local/...ml%23aMT1#aMT1

    Look for 1 Litre Multispec Cutting & Tapping Fluid (3rd one down), about £7 inc. P&P
    A bottle will last years if you just use it for tapping.
    (Don't dilute it, it's not soluble)

    Ta,
    Dan

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cupertino, California
    Posts
    2,130

    Default

    That is also cast tooling plate. Not only will it be slightly more difficult to work with, it will look like shit when you finish cutting it if you use a mill.

    Quote Originally Posted by redgoat View Post
    I'm thinking of using this for my base. Anyone else think that this is just a tad bit overkill? Also, with it being that thick, how will this affect the cooling of my scanner amps?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Cast-A...3A1%7C294%3A50
    CLICKY!!!

    Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

  10. #30
    gashead's Avatar
    gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burntisland, Scotland
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Spot on Steve.
    If you can't get hold of tapmagic, a really good alternative for us UK folks is from Chronos.
    http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local/...ml%23aMT1#aMT1

    Look for 1 Litre Multispec Cutting & Tapping Fluid (3rd one down), about £7 inc. P&P
    A bottle will last years if you just use it for tapping.
    (Don't dilute it, it's not soluble)

    Ta,
    Dan
    Jubbly Dan!

    Just what I was looking for

    Cheers for that mate.

    Nige.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •