Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Goldenstar or Lightspace?

Yeah, sounds like the best option. Lasershow projector is up to date, but brad was suggesting an older service that seems to have been discontinued.

My first and only laser projector still is a used x-laser mobile best mk5, in pretty bad shape. Scanners are only 20-25k and are rusted and badly need a tune up or even replacement. Have spoken to Adam multiple times and agree he is a great person, but with my previous experience(even though it has nothing to do with the company itself, but you know how powerful associations can be), and the fact that they only use 30k scanners, I don't think their projectors best suit my needs.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I hadn't looked at Pangolin's site for projectors in a while but, I know they were involved in helping market Kvants and had become a US dealer so, I wasn't aware of a name change. I bought one of my Kvants from Justin Perry at Pangolin when they were first getting into it. I was going to suggest X-Laser as a possible source as well, since I know Adam rather well and have been to his shop a number of times since they're only an hour away. I don't know how recently you've talked with him but, I think you'll find there has been steady improvement in what they have to offer. Many of the advancements have been on much higher end projectors though. Roger Waters used X-Laser's on HIS tour so..... they certainly suit some people's needs.
    At the end of the day, as norty alluded to, at this price point, there really isn't a tremendous amount of difference between any of them in terms of what you see on the wall or in the air. They're all roughly the same diodes. Scanners probably make the biggest difference in terms of what you "see" and, I truly believe if you sat down to watch a majority of shows, most people would be hard pressed to be able to identify a specific scanner brand or speed. Sure, you can tell a bit easier in tests but, do you turn on Pink Floyd and watch...test patterns? So, a lot of the decision making process to me, has more to do with fit and finish, relationship with the vendor, reliability, durability, resale value(ha!), price, and less tangible stuff. Even something as simple as the fact that, the Kvant Clubmax 1800 I have, has no fans and makes absolutely NO noise whatsoever. It's beautiful to look at, feels good in your hands, you know it's quality just by picking it up. Even the lock and key feel substantially more professional. The interlock dongle is a robust metal XLR connector versus a cheap plastic db9 with a rainbow colored swirly plastic springy thing the cheap key attached too. It has a nice sturdy Pelican case versus a wooden flight case with cheaper foam and undersized wobbly casters. It has Compact 506 scanners which, are indisputably superior to the DT's, PT's whatever. But yes, in the end, it does cost a bit more and, I can't financially afford to have a stockpile of them so, Lightspace has been a very good, capable alternative and sometimes the deal, particularly to get multiples or, to arrange a group buy has been hard to beat. They've been bright enough, fast enough, wide enough, cheap enough, durable enough and a convenient price point. I've never owned a Goldenstar but have seen and poked around many, many of them. Not as refined as Lightspace but still above average for what comes out of China.
    dkumpula did mention whether going with the Kvant is perhaps buying more than you need but, it seems that you are somewhat particular and are asking questions, getting opinions and giving this a lot of consideration and, you have some experience so, I don't see you ever feeling remorseful about spending a little more to get the Kvant and, at the end of the day will likely admit it was the right decision. And if not... post in on the BuySell here and chances are good I'll end up buying it from you.
    PM Sent...

What a difference a year makes: [url]http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/25984-Newbie-looking-for-advice-on-what-projector-to-buy[/url.
    You might give this a thought with regards to getting into the whole variance thing. https://x-laserstore.com/products/ez-revariance-kit Granted it's specifically just for X-Laser products but, I don't know the route you go if you then obtain other products. Might be a question for Adam Raugh,
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 11-15-2017 at 06:30.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    What a difference a year makes: [url]http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/25984-Newbie-looking-for-advice-on-what-projector-to-buy[/url.
    You might give this a thought with regards to getting into the whole variance thing. https://x-laserstore.com/products/ez-revariance-kit Granted it's specifically just for X-Laser products but, I don't know the route you go if you then obtain other products. Might be a question for Adam Raugh,
    Times Shute have changed! Didn't known if anyone would remember that thread. I have learned quite a bit since then, but still whished I understood scanner settings.

I think I will get an ez variance for that projector, assuming they still cover it. Wondering about changing the scanners but that would mean it is no longer certified, right?

Agree that it is a good way to start. Shame it doesn't vary over though, and I wonder if there would be a problem with having that variance along with another for another manufacturer.

"Sure, you can tell a bit easier in tests but, do you turn on Pink Floyd and watch...test patterns?"(b/c I can't quote twice on a phone)

Now we're talking. I'd like to see that. Challenge accepted .

Hey gl! I see you made it to pl!!
    I'm still pretty new to projectors... but I do have a China d1800 and a kvant cm3000. And I gotta say the kvant performance is just great!!!
    That's is all! Good luck

Wait until next week when Adam is home from LDI and hit him up to ask about the details of an X-Laser Variance. I don't know a tremendous amount about it. Typically with a "non-X-Laser EZ Variance", you can obtain any legal projector and just report it when you file your annual report in late August. My variance for example, I filed myself with some assistance in completing the paperwork and, when I buy or add a new projector at anytime during the year, I'll just add it to the list when I file my annual report so, in theory you'd only have one variance. Now, I don't know if for example, you get an X-Laser kit and then say, someday down the road buy another legal projector from another manufacturer, if it works the same way. I don't believe so because of some sort of arrangement they may have with CDRH but... since I really DON'T know the true in's and out's of it, I strongly encourage you to talk to Adam and get the correct information.
    PM Sent...

If I just end up getting a full, non x-laser variance, who could I talk to assist me with the paper work. Also.is there an issue with the fact I am a minor?

I don't believe there is an issue with being a minor. As far as help, I know I recently saw a good guide somewhere and I'll have to find it, that helps to answer some of the harder questions. Not to mention you're in the right place to simply ask...
    PM Sent...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

variances are pretty generic. mine states:

"Further, the firm may incorporate into their laser light shows any laser projection systems, which have been certified and reported by the firm or by another manufacturer under an approved laser light show variance, except:

1) Projection systems designed or intended to produce visible effects by means of invisible laser emissions, ro
    2) Projection systmes designed or intended to produce audience scanning effects."

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Wait until next week when Adam is home from LDI and hit him up to ask about the details of an X-Laser Variance. I don't know a tremendous amount about it. Typically with a "non-X-Laser EZ Variance", you can obtain any legal projector and just report it when you file your annual report in late August. My variance for example, I filed myself with some assistance in completing the paperwork and, when I buy or add a new projector at anytime during the year, I'll just add it to the list when I file my annual report so, in theory you'd only have one variance. Now, I don't know if for example, you get an X-Laser kit and then say, someday down the road buy another legal projector from another manufacturer, if it works the same way. I don't believe so because of some sort of arrangement they may have with CDRH but... since I really DON'T know the true in's and out's of it, I strongly encourage you to talk to Adam and get the correct information.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post

1) Projection systems designed or intended to produce visible effects by means of invisible laser emissions, ro
    Couldn't this be taken as including dpss and frequency doubled YAG laser projectors?

So this may mean that a variance purchased from x-laser will also have these traits?

Also, what is usually used in the company or firm section of the document if one does not have a company?
    Last edited by Glrock; 11-15-2017 at 13:48.