View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend SELEM 2020 (Aug 4 - 9)?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. As long as the lockdown is lifted I will be there.

15 57.69%
  • Unsure. First need to see what happens with COVID-19, my job, etc.

8 30.77%
  • No. It is too risky, both financially and health-wise.

3 11.54%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you planning to attend SELEM 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    We need to all just inject Clorox remember.
    I wonder if we could just mix in some clorox with the fluid in a DF-50? what could possibly go wrong? (/s just in case)

... or "audience scanning" with higher power, to kill all the viruses in the air, before they can harm someone

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I wonder if we could just mix in some clorox with the fluid in a DF-50? what could possibly go wrong?
    Starting to sound a bit like our commander-in-chief there, Frank!

Although to be fair if you only wanted to disinfect the DF-50 fluid in the jug (and not try to kill anything that gets trapped in the tiny droplets in the haze) you could probably add a few drops of Clorox per liter of fluid (like you would do to disinfect water). I think that would probably pass through the nozzle OK and not create an inhalation hazard, at least for the DF-50. But I wouldn't dream of adding Clorox (in any quantity) to the fluid in a thermal fog machine...

The real issue is that using fog or haze introduces another risk factor, as those suspended particles can now serve as a substrate that the virus could be carried on. And given the lengthy hang time of haze, this greatly increases the transmission risk. I don't think you could add enough disinfectant to the haze fluid to be able to kill any pathogens that got trapped in the haze particles without basically creating mustard gas, even without the risk of thermal decomposition.

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... or "audience scanning" with higher power, to kill all the viruses in the air, before they can harm someone
    Again, what could possibly go wrong?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    Just make sure it's a proper germicidal wavelength. Who's got a big laser with that deep deep deep deep blue 275nm line?

... if they'll throw in the same money, as into vaccine-research, then this sort of "germicide" lasers should be around long before Christmas

Viktor
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

SELEM could be like an episode of the Oprah Winfrey show...

"You get a retina burn! You get a retina burn! *Everyone* gets a retina burn!"

Adam

... or you'll replace the "germicide" by "homicide"

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    "You get a retina burn! You get a retina burn! *Everyone* gets a retina burn!"
    Nah, the cornea is pretty much opaque below ~300nm, so 275nm is totally safe for your retina. It's basically free lasik

Enough UV and your lens becomes opaque to visible light as well.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Default SELEM 2020 is cancelled

Bad news folks... SELEM will have to be cancelled for 2020.

COVID-19 concerns are part of the problem, but now there is a bigger issue. I just learned that the Auditorium screwed up the dates that we reserved last year and managed to double-book the Auditorium on the 7th and 8th of August.

This is the final nail in SELEM's coffin for this year. I was already leaning towards a cancellation (due to the virus) anyway, but losing the venue makes it official.

Frankly, I'm more than a little fed up with all the drama surrounding Newton, the Auditorium, and the School. As such, I'm going to start looking for a new venue. While we certainly have a long history with the Auditorium, it's been far too tumultuous in recent years, and I have reached the limits of my patience. I am not willing to bring the event back to the Newton Connover Auditorium for 2021.

I'm going to start another thread to formally announce this and to ask for suggestions for a new venue, but I wanted to post it here as well. But please, let's move further discussion to the new thread.

Sorry folks!

Adam