Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: New format for laser shows - time to upgrade the show production

Laserium used solenoids. There have been pictures on here before of Laserium's scan glass system, and the front side is in the documentary. It had a 1/8 steel rod supported at each end with bearings that passed from the front on the head to the back side. There were 3 nested brass tubes riding coax around the steel rod. In the back of the projector were three cylindrical solenoids that attached to a lever clamped on each of the brass tubes for mechanical advantage. There was a another aluminum link that attached the lever and the solenoid. the link allowed for the mix of straight line movement of the solenoid and the rotational motion of the lever. On the scan through side there were originally brackets clamped on the brass tubes and the scan glasses were screwed onto the brackets. When we started doing different shows in the same night/week we went to a clever spring loaded quick release scan glass holder.

AVI used pneumatic actuators
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Laserium used rotary solenoids for the Lumia pickoffs originally. And in the Mark IV a single big rotary solenoid that moved the single scan glass tray.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Laserium used solenoids. There have been pictures on here before of Laserium's scan glass system, and the front side is in the documentary. It had a 1/8 steel rod supported at each end with bearings that passed from the front on the head to the back side. There were 3 nested brass tubes riding coax around the steel rod. In the back of the projector were three cylindrical solenoids that attached to a lever clamped on each of the brass tubes for mechanical advantage. There was a another aluminum link that attached the lever and the solenoid. the link allowed for the mix of straight line movement of the solenoid and the rotational motion of the lever. On the scan through side there were originally brackets clamped on the brass tubes and the scan glasses were screwed onto the brackets. When we started doing different shows in the same night/week we went to a clever spring loaded quick release scan glass holder.

AVI used pneumatic actuators
    Thank you for the clarification. I know I had seen both on here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    I didn't actually discover rotary solenoids, until seeing them being used on Holoco's projectors. They had a solid clunk that was really annoying during conferences.
    That's the reason why I used servos. They are not fast but I could work around that. For an intimate living room laser show, rotaries and even linear solenoids are just too loud!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Less is more. For example, why attempt to project imagery, while using fog to illuminate crowd scans that only distract from the projected imagery? Sure, quick beam zaps are great for accenting drum riffs, but is constant sensory overload the objective? What's left for the encore?
    I couldn't be more aligned with this statement. Don't get me wrong, I love beams. They certainly have their place but today's game seems to be, "Let's see how many projectors we can cram into an installation to get MOAR BEAMZ!!!" I actually love the old school beam tables. Fixed beams that would hit bounce mirrors around the venue. That spiderweb lattice that would cycle through was pretty awesome. As you said though, used sparingly. Beams get boring very quickly because it's a one-trick-pony. Beams or fans, that's all there is. So, a quick beam flash here and there is a nice addition and quite dazzling when used strategically.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.