Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 87

Thread: Noob question on scanners.

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    HS? Yes. Depending on the models you get, scan rate and angle, requirements will vary. In my 2 sat projectors, PT20 driver is simply mounted to the chassis which is approx 2mm thick Ali plate. Power\heat wise think about the same as 2 x 20w amplifier modules.
    This space for rent.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Thanks for the quick reply Wayne.

    Bummer. There is no room to HS the galvos in the projector I want to use. I'm going to try to find a used case I guess.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Any opinions on this dual driver?

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-3A-dual-...item2585eae7d4
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Hard to believe my last post was over a month and a half ago.

    Just got another step closer.

    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    523

    Default

    It may be an expensive hobby but aren't lasers and scanners generally getting cheaper (less expensive)? It wasn't long ago that multiwatt lasers were way out of reach of hobbyists. Even scanners. Remember when people were trying to build their own 12K galvos to save money? Now you can buy a set of 20K scanners with amps and power supply for under $100. My point is that there is no hurry to buy stuff, it will get cheaper, smaller, more powerful, faster, better. Have fun!

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Oh, nice TJ! Enjoy

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    It may be an expensive hobby but aren't lasers and scanners generally getting cheaper (less expensive)? It wasn't long ago that multiwatt lasers were way out of reach of hobbyists. Even scanners. Remember when people were trying to build their own 12K galvos to save money? Now you can buy a set of 20K scanners with amps and power supply for under $100. My point is that there is no hurry to buy stuff, it will get cheaper, smaller, more powerful, faster, better. Have fun!
    Thank you. But its taking me forever to finish my first one though. Its going to be at least another month before I get the next major piece (drivers). I had to sell a spare laser module to buy the DAC. Its very hard to find decent cheap used parts here. I dont see the logic trying to get >80% return on something that has been heavily used. There is a lot of that here. I read one guy was trying to sell a used item for more than the cost of the new superior version of the same item.

    But you're right because I'm finding new items for a fraction of the cost they used to be. Its a good time to get into projectors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Oh, nice TJ! Enjoy
    It will work for me, plus I got an epic deal on it. So win/win.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    Tech,

    The thing that I dislike is having to spend time on the very necessary sub-components that are so blah. Like looking through thousands of ebay listings for just the right size heat sink. Hundreds of duplicate listings for 20mm x20mm 15.7mm pin heat sinks "good anodized quality" Hong Kong... or a nice compact 15 V DC power supply. Often the price isn't the issue (unless they are gouging), but one component impacts the choice of another.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Right now I dont have that luxury. I have 2 choices.

    1. Wait around till I find prices I can afford on decent quality items. Like that DAC. I'm a very patient man, and have no problem waiting. The negative being I'm almost a year in, and I dont even have half the parts I need.

    2. I can easily find cheap items that will do close to the job the quality stuff can do. Thus bringing my PJ into fruition much faster.

    Unfortunately its going to have to be a combination of the two. Its just a tool after all, my focus is in writing shows. I cant write anything till I have the equipment to view it.

    I did have some higher end members step up and offer help, but all of them where basically talking out of their arse. In the end nothing happened, and communication has stopped. I waited over a month for some of these people to come though, just to get silence, or excuses. I dont think people get that good intentions mean nothing unless you actually do them. They all wasted a month of my time because I didnt know what help they were going to give me, so I held off buying anything.

    In hind sight I should have just bought a cheap Chinese projector. Even if it was crappy I'd still be having more fun than in the past 10 months trying to piece together a decent projector. I thought coming here would speed things up, but its actually put me far behind, and left a bitter taste in my mouth in some areas. I hate to say it but LPF has a way deeper communal support system. People actually follow through on what they promise, and often times go the extra mile to make it happen. Numerous time I've seen people offer things at near cost to help someone out. You dont see that here, ever. LPF has its pitfalls, but the community goal is to get you into the hobby as easily, and fast as possible, so you can join in and enjoy the hobby like everyone else. Over here everyone is trying to squeeze you for what money they can get out of you, and worry if you're going to be either competition, or somehow detrimental to the future of their business. It does not seem like there is a lot of room for hobbyists here, so there is not so much support for the hobbyists. Which is sad. Everyone here was a hobbyists when they started. Too bad some people forget this.

    Sorry for the rant.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    I hear you. And, if your interest is heavily focused on the shows then you are probably right that a cheap CN projector would do it. Because my interest has always been the machine and the shows were the means to use it that's why that wasn't the route I chose. I actually started all this on LPF when a couple of years ago we were setting up to use a few medium power pointers from ebay and shine them (fixed) through diffraction gratings to add to the lighting for a Halloween party. I found the LPF sight and I was pretty overwhelmed at first by the different choices ie hand held like "Wiked Laser", custom units from members, cheap CN pointers from Hong Kong or complete DIY with parts scrounged from anywhere.

    What attracted me over to this site was there seemed to be a higher intensity of application. They were using bigger lasers and there were the LEMs where like minded folks could get together and the activity wasn't strictly limited to lasers,but was interesting because of the mind set. You may be right about the level of support here. Most of the support that has come my way has been through distributors that actively participate here and then as my needs for certain items have caused me to develop a little rapport with them they have all gone well beyond to advise and provide additional support. Most of them are VERY experienced in different area of the hobby/industry. Beyond this, as I'm sure you have seen it can become primarily a discussion group.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •