Page 76 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6672737475767778798086 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    In my memory, the three glasses closest to the scanners had cross-star filters, the middle set were 2-axis diffraction gratings - high dispersion on yellow and green, and low dispersion on red and blue, and the front 4 scan-glasses were "other" various things depending on the show. So really, at least in San Francisco, we only changed the top (outer) row of scan-glasses. We also settled on a pretty much standard set of lumia effects and never switched them out unless absolutely necessary. Pulling on the lumia mounts, even with the later and gentler 1/4" audio plug mounts, tended to affect alignment, and there was always the potential of hitting other things when the plugs suddenly released. My preference was to stay away from the laser head as much as possible once things were working to my satisfaction. It also made turn-over between shows quicker. We most often did two or three different shows every evening!
    Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you Ron! I don't understand though. There were 3 glasses per scanner times 4 scanners... that I know of. When you say the three glasses closest to the scanners, do you mean there were more than three glasses per scanner? Is there a CS / 6B difference involved? I found a photo that shows some of the same parts in a projector.

Great contributions everyone, thank you. Laserock Platinum content coming soon. I have the file
    CSX-ScanGlassSolenoidDriver.pdf which includes the schematic Ron posted. I think this file, and maybe photos of a board were posted in this thread a while back.

And pinball is definitely out as fast as it's after the horse escaped high voltage sustain will take it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan_glass.jpg  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Texas Instruments DRV110 and DRV120

Laser Images' Mark IV only had the single scan glass tray. The 3 scan glass per scanner was a Mark VI thing. When a Mark IV was upgraded to a Mark 600 the original head was mostly left alone. I think (hope!) they stripped out the 110VAC. The upgrade consisted of a new control panel, new or rewired hybrid card cage, and the addition of an upper card cage. (With a CYGN-B and everything that supported the new control panel's override capabilities.) Most of the boards in the new hybrid cage were just transfered from the Mark IV.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Laser Images' Mark IV only had the single scan glass tray. The 3 scan glass per scanner was a Mark VI thing. When a Mark IV was upgraded to a Mark 600 the original head was mostly left alone. I think (hope!) they stripped out the 110VAC. The upgrade consisted of a new control panel, new or rewired hybrid card cage, and the addition of an upper card cage. (With a CYGN-B and everything that supported the new control panel's override capabilities.) Most of the boards in the new hybrid cage were just transfered from the Mark IV.
    Good tip Steve, Thank you. Here is a photo which looks like the single scan glass tray of the Mark IV and the rotary solenoid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MarkIV.jpg  

Just for the record the Mark VI had G-124 Scanners and an additional lumia panel. With the advent of Laserock they added a turret over the raw beam position that was used for "...Heart of the Sun" in Laserium I. And a fiber optic turret was added at another point. And at still another point they added a scanner as the pick off mirror at the end of each lumia panel for raster effects. The raster effects interacted with color mod in interesting way. Unfortunately they used the old selsyn position on the control panel for the raster gain control - If you never had the selsyn set up properly I can see why someone ditched it - and if you did, and used it -you'd probably want to break someone's thumbs for getting rid of it...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Here's the article that I had previously posted that started this conversation regarding PWM:
    What’s the Best Way to Drive a Solenoid?
    Basically, the PWM pulses are much faster than the solenoid's reaction time, so the power is effectively averaged, proportional to the pulse duration of the cycle. Presumably, the frequency would depend upon the specific solenoid's inductance and the applied voltage would need to be sufficient to overcome the impedance. Pulsing the power allows a higher current, without frying the coil (ideally). It's a technique more commonly used for dimming LEDs and controlling RC servo motors.
    Arduino based MCUs, like the Teensy 4.x, can already provide fully programmable TTL level PWM signals via their GPIO pins. My T4 Laser Synth has 20 that are unused and available for controlling solenoids, motors, & etc, 14 are direct GPIO connections (if installed inside a projector) + 6 connections via DB25 (for projector's ILDA connection), if configured like an external DAC. I only need a suitable MOSFET driver board and PSU, located near the thing-a-ma-jigs.
    I will pursue this methodology to customize the initial power curve while activating my solenoids for optimal performance, as well as minimizing the power required for holding solenoids, programable via software whatever the load may be.
    BR

Roj
    Roj, sorry I missed seeing your first link. The MPQ6610 is a pretty nifty device controller for relays, solenoids, brushed DCM's. Pay attention to it's RL load and max current load specs and which package is chosen, but it looks versatile. Wished we had this back in the day.

if you do some digging Lee Valve has an app note using a 555 based circuit for a V1 pulse followed by a V2 hold. They place a zener in series with the anti-kick diode to allow some speedup during retraction.

Lee valve app note Pic extracted attached.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EFS_R36_1.jpg  

Last edited by mixedgas; 03-28-2023 at 02:43.

Make sure the PIC can drive the MOSFET gate capacitance in both source and sink , if Not use some sort of gate driver chip or a linear rated Mosfet. Some FETS are on/off or TTL rated, or Linear. The wrong choice means release of magic smoke from the FET.

555 or 556 without any other components makes a great cheap gate driver. So does a NPN/PNP pair.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Hopefully others will benefit as much as I from the offerings of solutions and schematics that have been shared within this conversation.
    Yes, an excellent, useful, and on topic discussion. Thank you everyone.

After doing some verification on the way the rotation control bits in the data are being used in the emulator software, I have obtained the data only print of numbers 11 through 17 of Laserock Platinum. I'll try to get them all posted in the next few days. Here is the first in the series: Sartori In Tangier by King Krimson. I used some joystick in the first half just to demonstrate the variable rotations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5pDYCJMqpg

Hopefully this series of data only videos will provide an opportunity for those here with performance experience to share their recollections of cycloid settings, fixed offset group usage, performance cues, and suggestions for how best to please an audience using the recovered choreography.

Signals from the data to the spiral generator board coming soon.

Set the controls for the heart of Laserium...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SartoriInTangier_data_only.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yes, an excellent, useful, and on topic discussion. Thank you everyone.

After doing some verification on the way the rotation control bits in the data are being used in the emulator software, I have obtained the data only print of numbers 11 through 17 of Laserock Platinum. I'll try to get them all posted in the next few days. Here is the first in the series: Sartori In Tangier by King Krimson. I used some joystick in the first half just to demonstrate the variable rotations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5pDYCJMqpg

Hopefully this series of data only videos will provide an opportunity for those here with performance experience to share their recollections of cycloid settings, fixed offset group usage, performance cues, and suggestions for how best to please an audience using the recovered choreography.

Signals from the data to the spiral generator board coming soon.

Set the controls for the heart of Laserium...
    Hmmm, the YT vid link is now blocked due to its copyrighted content, Greg. You are making exciting progress though!